Friday, September 12, 2008

When Creativity Goes Bad

Have you seen the 80's movie "DUNE?" It is a horrendous movie. Based on the book of the same title (which is a masterpeice), the movie does a horrible job of managing the delcacies of the plot. Lots of work into the set to have a creative design but it looked pitiful on screen. It started out to be a very creative work, and it didn't work.

The problem is every time it's on I watch it. It's like trying to look away from an accident on the freeway. I can't help myself!

Sometimes creative ideas don't work. It will look good on paper. It will look good while you set it up and prepare for it, but when you actully put it out there, it falls flat on it's face. I've had many a message that never got off the runway.

This is the underbelly of creativity. If it works you are brilliant. If it doesn't you can feel like a failure.

I was watching that "America's Got Talent" show last night and there is some truly creative acts on the show. I think of the violinist group in particular. They combine hip-hop and classical music in a brilliant manner. In the same regard I've seen people mix genres to their horror, like Pat Boone's heavy metal remake album. Eww!

That's the nature of creativity. Sometimes you fail. Sometime you win. The problem is you don't know until you try. My advice, try and keep trying. Learn from your failures. Let them influence your successes.

Creative ideas don't just come once in a while. They come in a flood of bad ones and a person that doesn't give up.

No comments: